Craving a big, protein rich lunch? This is your salad!
I love salads, but sometimes I want more than just a bowl of veggies and fruits. I like crunchiness, and texture and a variety of flavors to shake things up once in a while. And I always try to incorporate some protein in my meal.
Lentils are one of my favorite vegan protein sources. Red lentils are my favorite for stews and curries, green are great in bolognese or veggie burgers, and black lentils are perfect for salads.
Not only do these glossy black lentils look pretty against bright, colorful veggies and fruits, they stay firm, giving a nice texture to your salad.
This salad is easy to make, especially if you cook the lentils ahead of time (meal prep anyone??). If you don’t roast your own beets, cooked beets are easy to find at the grocery store. The rest of the ingredients are a breeze – just chop them up, whisk the dressing and you’re done.
And best of all, for those of you tracking macros or struggling to increase protein in your diet, lentils are a great source at 13g per 1/2 cup dry. Combined with the sweetness of the peaches, the earthiness of the spinach and beets and the tangy mustard vinaigrette with fresh mint, this salad has it all.
Add salt to satisfy your personal taste, and enjoy!
Black Lentil, Peach and Beet Salad
- 198 g Black Lentils, Cooked 1 cup
- 80 g Beets, Cooked and Diced 1/2 cup
- 150 g Peach, Diced about 1 medium
- 70 g Cucumber, Diced 1/2 cup
- 30 g Baby Spinach ! cup
- 1.2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Fresh Mint, Chopped
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- Combine all of the salad ingredients except the spinach in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add salt to the dressing to your desired taste.
- Stir the dressing into the salad until well combined.
- In a serving bowl, place the spinach and then add the lentil mixture on top.