I joined Costco recently. After resisting for years I finally broke down and got a membership so that my husband and I could order some new glasses (dirt cheap!).
Of course we wandered the aisles after and got sucked right into believing that we needed a case of vegetable broth and enough trash bags to last us through to 2022. Anyway, in addition to grabbing giant quantities of household stuff we also hit up the produce section which was awesome! We didn’t need a lot, but we did get a giant box of spinach and more baby cucumbers than I know what to do with, so today for lunch, I made a salad.
I eat a simple salad of some sort every day, usually without dressing, but today I went all out. This salad hit all of my cravings – sweet, tart and crunchy with just a little salt. Perfect for a hot day.
When I do eat dressing on my salad, mustard vinaigrette is one of my go-to options. It’s easy and I always have the ingredients on hand. It alway pairs well with the sweetness of the apples in this recipe.
The avocado and pumpkin seeds provide some good healthy fat, and the goji berries are a fun addition that provide antioxidants. If you don’t have any on hand, dried cranberries will provide a similar texture and sweetness to the salad.
Spinach and Apple Salad
- 30 g Baby Spinach about 1 cup gently packed
- 70 g Red Cabbage, thinly sliced about 1 cup
- 60 g Cucumber, chopped about 1/2 cup
- 130 g Apple, chopped about 1 cup
- 1 tbsp Goji Berries substitute dried cranberries if needed
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds, raw
- 25 g Avocado about 1/4 of a whole avocado
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Mustard preferable dijon or german
- Combine the spinach, cabbage, cucumbers and apple in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Top with avocado, goji berries and pumpkin seeds.